Welcome guest, please Login or Register

TB Topics

Tuberculosis in the ICU: A Retrospective Study in a Low Burden Setting

Rank

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2014-04-02

PM

What is the typical profile of the patients admitted into the ICU for tuberculosis?  Based on this data, can we improve outcomes for these patients?

Rank

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2014-05-04

PM

As rightly mentioned there is nothing specific about TB admissions in ICU. At the end of the day the conclusion is same as before - Treat with -  both anti -bacterial and anti - TB drugs!  With us it is a clinical approach in decision making as confirmation of TB diagnosis is not possible in a short time in the ICU unless Gene expert facility is available at all ICU’s.  The study does not seem to add anything new than what is already known.

Rank

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

i agree with Nayana , Genexpert has to be performed in case of Tb in ICU,
Series of routine biochemical investigations to assess other organ function included

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

I think your research question could be-
What are the risk factors for bad outcome for TB patients admitted in ICU? OR
Can SAPS score be used as prognostic algorithm in TB patients admitted in ICU?

I was wondering if you could use SAPS score for admitting patients in ICU rather than using it as a predictor for death, like in your study another infection especially pneumonia is a risk factor with OR of 17, so like we could admit all patients with pneumonia and treat them and prevent organ failure.

Your comment that HARRT is not protective – totally disagree with you, as these were patients having very low CD4 count, this could be due to – may be they were started late on HARRT, could have been less compliant or were not responding to HARRT

Sangita Shelke

Rank

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2014-05-07

PM

Out of those who died and were alive, how many were HIV Positive? This data is not shown even for univariate analysis.